IN A CLASS OF THEIR OWN
TEACHERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Everyone has a teacher they look up to. Whether it's by helping you through a tough time in your life, guiding you towards who you strive to be one day, or inspiring a path you didn't think was there for you to take, teachers have such a powerful capability of helping shape you into the person you are now. I remember during my senior year of high school, I took AP English, expecting to hate the entire course. Luckily, Mr. Chorazy convinced me otherwise. Looking back, although I didn't appreciate him as much as I should have at the time, Mr. Chorazy is the sole person responsible for my love for classic literature.
Mr. Chorazy is the type of person who pushes you to your fullest potential. He holds you accountable and he doesn't take any crap from anyone. I always thought of Mr. Chorazy as a serious person, but also the type to know when to lighten the mood. It's a really hard job to teach, let alone teach high schoolers. Now in my senior year of college, it's understandable he was how he was at times. It never bothered me to begin with anyway. I wouldn't know the pleasure of reading some of my favorite novels if it wasn't for taking Mr. Chorazy's AP English course. There were a few other teachers at my local high school that also taught AP English, but I don't think my love for literature wouldn't have the same passion if Mr. Chorazy wasn't teaching.
My most favorite novel we read in his class, and still a written work I hold close to my heart, is Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë. I remember my class spent a few weeks working our way through the chapters and analyzing the gothic themes in between the lines. I learned so much from Mr. Chorazy when it came to reading. Without his help, the novel would have never have had the same depth it does to me now. After four years since taking Mr. Chorazy's class, now a Communication and Media Arts major, I think I have a lot to thank Mr. Chorazy for, not only as a teacher but as a mentor. Although there were plenty of times I didn't openly appreciate him or agree with what he said, those times were so crucial to so many aspects of my life that I enjoy now. When you think of your favorite teacher, who do you think of? Are you still in contact with them? After writing this, I honestly think I'll be reaching out to Mr. Chorazy to finally personally thank him for all he has done. Teaching is such a humble and noble course of work. You spend your days reaching out to hundreds maybe thousands of students in the hopes of inspiring at least one. I'm sure I'm not the only one Mr. Chorazy inspired throughout his teaching career, but he definitely is the only English teacher that has inspired me so far.
Reach out to your teachers today. Tell them, "thank you." Sometimes the simplest of messages tend to have the most life-lasting effect on people.




Very well written and so sweet! Sounds like a great teacher!
ReplyDelete